Sunday, March 15, 2009

This is the last one...

It's been a good 2 to 3 months that i've been blogging on this space. Who knows, I might just choose to make this my new online residence. Haha. I've come to grow fond of the hyperlink (constructivity) since that's what I probably need in my life now. Anyway that's beside the point. Moving on..



I guess I sidetracked a *little* from what I was supposed to blog about for the past 2 weeks. I guess it's time to put it back on track.



There are many forms of communication, such as writing and speaking, just to name a few. In the prehistoric ages, the cavemen used cave paintings to depict their way of life. The ancient Egyptians used their hieroglyphics to tell stories of grand kings who have passed on. Communication has since advanced much from those ages.



Communication styles differ from person to person. Surely one prefers a method of communication over another. For example, one may prefer expressing one's self through writing than in words, and thus he/she might use a preferred form of communication much more often than another. I am probably one of those kinds of people, since I don't speak as well as I write. I think i'm pretty self-conscious, and I always am afraid of saying the wrong things at the wrong time. For such cases, just shutting your mouth would be the most logical option, no? It doesn't mean that i'm autistic though. Lol. I like speaking just as much as writing, though i'm apparently better in the latter.

With the advancement of technology, people are now able to communicate without seeing each other, through the Internet. Mediums such as Facebook and instant messaging softwares are not uncommon nowadays. Many people actually find it easier to communicate through these new media. Which wouldn't be really that surprising, since the possible intimidating presence of another person you may be communicating with face-to-face, is eliminated. Still, nothing beats face-to-face communication. After all, what is communication without the human touch, right? :)

Sometimes face-to-face communication might produce negative results, though. One of the more hilarious ones i've encountered... A friend told me he lost his apetite, as he watched/listened to another one of his friends shouting "SHIOK!" non stop, while gobbling his food like a hungry ghost just set free from the gates of hell. Comical when you hear about it, but how would you feel if you were in my friend's shoes?

The point is, all forms of communications have flaws. We could probably choose a suitable style or form of communication, to better suit the times and places (kairos, was it?) that we are in. Effective communication is the way to building better human relationships.

12 comments:

  1. hello!

    hmm i dont know how effective communication over the internet really is. good or bad, it is indeed a form of convenience. browse through someone's facebook profile, lie over the internet about your age, divulge persoanl details-these are some uses online mediums have nowadays.

    for those who have a fear of interacting with people face-t-face, the virtual world is a good platform for them to 'be themselves'. well, maybe to a certain extent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Communication is essential for all life on earth. Unless you're an amoeba that self-replicates, you will need communication to interact with your peers around you.

    With the advent of the internet, communication has seen an unprecedented boom in the spreading of information.

    Internet is the future of human communication.





    And i cant live without my computer.

    farhanfranhafraahn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree that communication has evolved very much from the past..However, I would have to say that I actually prefer the time before internet or even the handphone became the main way of human to human communications...

    No doubt that people can now communicate 'better' using the new media but it does it really improve our communication skills? The language that we use on these new platforms of communications are sadly speaking, quite horrendous sometimes..So much so that over time, we actually think that we are using words, spelling words the correct way when apparently it isn't..

    Another point to think about is in reality, can we avoid face to face conversations and interaction altogether? It's impossible..so why not just get used to the fact that human and human interactions are essential and start practising, get use to meeting new people, regardless of how intimidating the experience is..As the saying goes, practise makes perfect and after sometime, you might find that meeting new people is actually quite an enjoyable experience unlike those online..

    ReplyDelete
  4. farhan - i would love to see the day when computers are no longer needed to the daily function of life.

    what happened to the scrolls being delivered by pigeons or letters mailed by horses?

    communication is an art. i think i must have repeated this line a million times.

    the disparity in the appreciation of this art has been to the point where women have been labeled with having a instinct. and that instinct is their ability to pick up on subtle body language details that tells us so much more than the verbal aspects.

    this is why guys are poorer communicators. i was and am a victim of it still.



    the day everyone communicates on the internet is the day i'll be a hermit.

    in the meantime, THE LESTER rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lester,

    just like i said. face-to-face communication is reality.

    and i would think that our communication styles differ mainly due to our own personalities.
    some of us, the listeners. yet, some of us, are better at expressing ourselves verbally.
    whoever we are, we have our own way of letting ourselves be heard.

    of course, i ll have to agree that im afraid of saying the wrong things too. but i guess i wouldnt say its a logical choice tho'.

    there are times that we have to express ourselves. let others know how we feel.
    be it anger, gratitude or appreciation.
    its pretty important. cause others arent you, they have no idea whats on your mind.

    so. be it the talkings or writings, whichever way we are comfortable with. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Communicating online will never ever be comparable to communicating face to face. Communicating online is somewhat comparable to the cave writings that cavemen used. It is lifeless and cold and probably used to convey some cold lifeless message eg. You steal mammoth YOU PAY. One can never ever use cave writings or online communication to ever convey messages with feelings eg. I Love You. So to conclude, I feel that although communicating online is convenient and a great time saver, certain circumstances we would still have to fall back to face to face communication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe we all need a form of communication. To be truthful, I can't survive without any form of technology that allows me to communicate. Throw me in some deserted area and I won't be able to get out there for the next 10 hours unless I call for help. But in any case, although I love using things like handphones and computer, I still prefer face-to-face in the end. Because that's when I get to know if someone is actually meaning something when they say it and if there's sarcasm in their lines. And, it's more interactive to me to be able to see the real 'thing'. 'thing' as in human.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi.
    I feel that face to face communication is very important. It is definitely the most impt one because as you communicate, you can see the tone, expressions, feelings etc. Eye contact is the thing in face to face communication. Most people's eyes can talk. So you should get what I mean. (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. For myself, I prefer communicating online rather in person when I need to deliver something emotional as I am no good in controlling my emotion. By doing it online, I can expressed my views and opinions without worrying of my emotions.

    I agree with the point made by the blogger about face to face conversation saying that "just shutting your mouth would be the most logical option". Every individual is different hence the tolerance level too. People might get hurt or feel ridiculed sometimes if unintentional talks come out.

    In all, face to face communication is important for us to maintain strong relationship with people but online communication is not that bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yo Lester,

    As usual, I like to weave in facts to share. I like this topic because I believe in this:

    "You cannot NOT communicate."

    With all these awesome contribution, I would like to highlight a fact which drives me to learn more about effective communication face to face:

    "There are three major parts in human face to face communication which are body language, voice tonality, and words. According to the research --->(Mehrabian and Ferris (1967). "Inference of Attitude from Nonverbal Communication in Two Channels". In: The Journal of Counselling Psychology Vol.31, 1967, pp.248-52.):

    * 55% of impact is determined by body language--postures, gestures, and eye contact,
    * 38% by the tone of voice, and
    * 7% by the content or the words used in the communication process."

    Content and words used, is ONLY 7%. Br,o this is why I make that you owe me a bowl of Laksa so that we can MEET UP face to face one day. you only truly understand me when we can speak face to face.

    That's also why love to go out and meet people.

    Pikachu

    ReplyDelete
  11. I stand in approval to those who say that face to face communication is essential!

    Technology has advanced, people has evolved to be smarter, more IT inclined. However, face to face interactions still occur. It can never be replaced.

    Personally, though mediums such as Facebook/MSN may be convenient, there are many times where messages I sent are being interpreted wrongly by the other party.

    I'm sure I'll get many heads nodding to my above statement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey, shoti!

    that was very well said.

    consider working as a writer as a sideline!

    *two thumbs up!*

    huggz!

    ReplyDelete