Saturday, February 21, 2009

Conflict: Is it really necesary?

Conflict. It has existed throughout the years of humanity. It still exists now, primarily because it is in the blood, of we humans, the warmongers. It will still cary on its legacy, even when we are long gone, our flesh and bones returned to the earth. Not a very difficult concept to grasp.

I believe most ALL conflicts are started for selfish reasons. It is evident in our daily lives. A difference in concept leads to quarrels, with either party trying to enforce their ideas on the other. Now, I believe most people would say that it all boils down to making concessions, but how much leeway can you give someone? How do you define 'enough'? Ultimately, humans are narcissisic, egocentric beings, so I can safely assume, not much. Forgive me, for sounding so jaded about humanity.

Take for example, the recent Gulf War started by our dear former American president, Mr Bush. The reason for starting the war, at face value, was to combat terrorism. However, we all know otherwise. America is probably the world's largest consumer of crude oil. And Iraq i rich in crude oil. See the link?

This second example is on a personal level. I type the following part of this post with a heavy heart. For the last time I raised a conflict, it indirectly cost a friend his life.

It happened, close to two years ago, when I was still serving my national liabilities. Most people should be familiar with the term 'Sentry Duty'. A personal conflict arose between the Duty Orderly Sergeant (DOS - the bugger gave me 8 hours of sentry duty for the day.) and myself, so I deserted my sentry post in a fit of rage. I've never forgiven myself for doing that, till this day. Due to my selfish and thoughtless action, our book-out timing was delayed for almost two hours, with the supervisor giving a lecture on why we shouldn't desert the sentry post unnecessarily. Less than 4 hours after I got home, I received a phone call from a colleague, informing me that my fellow NSF was involved in a car accident on the way home.

Subsequently, he passed away, without waking up from his coma.

All that went on in my mind were "what if"s. What if I hadn't deserted my duties. He'd probably still be alive and well. What if I had been a little more accomodating? We probably wouldn't have had our book-out time delayed, and he probably wouldn't have met up with that fateful accident. Of course, all these, are just hypothetical. However, I still can't shake the fact off, that I was the indirect cause of his death.

To this day, I still think twice, thrice, four times even, whenever I feel that the anger is about to approach the limits. That one incident, is, and will forever be, a painful reminder to myself, branded onto the mind and soul.

I have the blood of an innocent on my hands. Will you risk the same thing, over a selfish reason?

On a side note, wish all my friends and classmates good luck for the coming mid terms! Let's all work hard together. :)

EXTRAS:

A comical, albeit vulgar video on how to handle conflict. :)

6 comments:

  1. Dude,

    Theres a reason why anger is part of the 7 deadly sins.

    Anyway, dont harp on past memories man. Now is the moment of destiny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conflict, is much more than just waging wars or battles. It stretches to simple things such an argument or being backstabbed by others.

    Good topic to voice out on, it has been something that I've pondered on before.

    Everyone in this world hates the same things, being backstabbed, betrayed by friends, selfish people, hypocrites etc. Why then, are there such people in this world?

    I believe it's because of the imperfection in every individual. If everyone knows the right thing and place to carry out the right actions, there will no longer be any conflicts. But we all know that's impossible.

    Agree with Lester that conflicts arise when we are more self-centered. When we are thinking along the lines of I should, I want, I need.

    Note the number of "I"s being used.

    All of us fail in our human aspects once in a while, but it is how we deal and be aware of it that is important.

    Reconcile with the person? Pretend nothing happened? Worse, don't admit your mistakes.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farhan:

    totally agree about anger being one of the 7 deadly sins... it probably is the deadliest one. It cost me a life.

    I've been unable to let go due to the fact that i caused the delay. sure, people could say...

    "if your supervisor kind a bit, then let you all off, he won't die what."

    Or...

    "if he never ride bike, he won't die what."

    or even...

    "if he went to pump petrol before he went home, he won't die what."

    there are so many reasons. but it's an undeniable fact that i caused the delay, which led to that unfortunate event. i still wish i could rewind and erase that part of my life, but it'll stay on, a scar for life.

    Rest in peace, LCP Alex Liu.

    Joel:

    that's kind of too idealistic.. haha. we all know it won't happen anytime in the future, who knows, it might never happen. cos humans were born to be warmongers. sure you can curb the tendency once or twice, but you won't be able to curb it forever. Welcome to the dark side...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i won't push the limits of what as already being explicitly stated.

    instead, i will think that for those of us who have never fully embraced anger will never understand peace or resolve.

    conflict exists only as a manifestation of what we assume to be anger. other sources might include confusion. or the lack of prior reasons leading up to it. lack of information. that's the more materialistic view.

    moreover, conflict brings out the best in us. why do i say the best in us. because only when we know the worst things we are capable of do we know the most beautiful things we can make or create.

    this probably relates to if you don't know how to love yourself, how do you love someone else.


    a slight degree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your style is very informal...a bit too informal i guess...what is your objective in your essay anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going through the comments I guess conflict is of great interest because it is associated with the somewhat undesirable emotion-anger.

    I looked around for a definition of anger and decided to use this:

    "Anger is the feeling we experience when events in our world are not going according to our plans or rules. It's as if we have an inner idea of how things, events and people should be - and when they don't 'march to our tune' we get angry and either feel frustrated or try to change them."

    Based on this definition, if the everything went one's way, one would not be angry. But you know this is a silly line of thought.

    During conflicts, you may feel that you are in the right when you are angry. But a bigger question is : Does that make you feel happy? Does it contribute towards your happiness and that of the people in your life?

    An angry man is again angry with himself, when he returns to reason.

    Some experts say you should 'express' your anger rather than bottle it up. They point out that suppressing anger can lead to heart disease. Other experts say that expressing anger makes things worse because it exacerbates the difficult situation and can have unpleasant consequences for your relationships, your career, and even your personal freedom.

    The choice appears to be get it off your chest and you won't get ill - but you may end up lonely or in prison. Or suppress your anger and you will be more popular - but you may get ill!

    Fortunately there is a third option - not to get angry in the first place.

    So we perhaps consider how techniques to dissolve anger? (Which I will not touch on)

    Do remember that not all anger is unhealthy. Sometimes anger is quite appropriate - it can be our final defence against allowing other people to manipulate or dominate us. And it can motivate us to take action against injustice. Anger is healthy when it is not on-going but is usefully channelled into appropriate action.

    Pikachu

    ReplyDelete